Monday, February 3, 2014

A baby and a dog



One day this past summer, around the middle of my pregnancy, I was walking Duck and Chris was going ahead of us on rollerblades.  Long story short, Duck broke free from his leash and took off after Chris for two blocks on a very busy street.  It's a miracle that there were no cars and he finally caught up with Chris.

This really shook me up and I started being much "tougher" with Duck (I'm still a total push over).  We bought him a more secure anti-pulling harness and I realized we needed to train him much better, especially with baby on the way.  I also started googling "dog and baby" and "french bulldogs and babies"... daily... for the rest of my pregnancy.  I had no idea how Duck would react to a baby, or how I would handle them both.

Fast forward, and everything is thankfully going as well as I had hoped.  Duck was very curious and enthusiastic for the first few weeks, eager to give Phoebe lots of kisses.  We just started putting Phoebe in her bouncy chair a couple times a day, and Duck will give her a few licks and sit next to her.  So sweet.  I'm wondering how it'll be when Phoebe's toys are strewn all over the floor, a field day for Duck?!  Looking forward to all the stages of their relationship, as exhausting - but sweet - as they will be.

PS. Our two cats are alive and well!  They're just so independent and EASY.  They deserve extra treats these days.

No comments :

Post a Comment